Friday, April 28, 2006

Memoirs of a Geisha

I finally saw "Memoirs of a Geisha" last night. I've been waiting to see this since I first heard the movie was being made because I read the book about 4 years ago and I could not put it down. It is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read, and I loved learning about the Geisha world. In choosing books to read, I usually look for settings in worlds I know nothing about, cultures that I can learn from. I love learning about Asian culture, the slavery era in America, Native Americans, and even the South. These are all worlds that are foreign to me and that fascinate me every time I enter one.

I decided to reread the book before I saw the movie and I got through it pretty fast since we had our 12 hour trip to and from Ohio a few weeks ago. So I went into the movie with a knowledgeable perspective. I don't know why I put myself through the torture. The movie is NEVER worth seeing after reading the story first. I'd say the best book-to-movie transition I've experienced is Gone With the Wind. But you also have to take into consideration that Gone With the Wind is a long movie, so they were able to stick to the story with some continuity.

Memoirs of a Geisha is gorgeous, I'll give you that. The settings and wardrobes were breathtaking, especially those set in Japenese gardens. But there was so much missing from the story. I was constantly thinking to myself, how will anyone who has not read the novel know what is going on? It was patchy and confusing.

Bottom line and personal opinion of Tara Chapman: More disapointing than most movies based on popular books. There are thousands of movies out there--don't pick this one next time you're at Blockbuster or logging onto Netflix!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

In the year of the rooster, I watched the movie as well. I agree... beautiful cinematography, but the plot was shaky. Plus, I can't get by the fact that the prince charming of the movie first met our little geisha when she was nine. Just seems kind of odd.

NY23CLIFF said...

Way too long - did they really need to spend the first hour showing us how rough her upbringing was??? We all could see the Cinderella / Joseph / Little orphan Annie parallel...

I agree with "Forgiven Saint" - I felt a little queasy at the screen adaptation of the true life story of Celine Dion and her dirty old man / manager / husband...

One more thing - that big dance number where she looked like she was performing the Heimlich maneuver on herself while wearing stilts - I didn't really get the brilliance of that...

Ange sort of liked the movie - so I endured...

BigWoodyRock said...

I agree, if my wife hadn't read the book and explained the entire thing I would have been totally lost not to mention they chose actors with the worst accents. I could hardly even understand them at times.