Saturday, April 08, 2006

Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Okay, a lot of you friends have heard my opinions on Dunkin Donuts coffee in the past. But I'm feeling the need to wax eloquent on the topic today because I got to have a cup this morning on our way out of the Chicago area. Anyone who knows New England knows that DD coffee is pretty much a religion up there. In the Boston area where I grew up, there are DD stores literally on every corner, but as I have moved on in life and in the country, I've learned they are not as common everywhere else. Could be partly because DD was born in Massachusetts, could be because the rest of the country hasn't learned the wonders of the perfect cup of coffee yet, I don't know. All that to say, I don't get to have it very often anymore (except for around Christmas when my mom sends me pounds and pounds of cinnamon--shout out to Kylene!), so when I get to have a cup fresh from the store, I am immediately taken back to the first 18 years of my life when it was just common fact DD coffee was part of the daily routine for pretty much everyone I ever knew. I was speechless when I found out that after ten years of living in Clarks Summit, PA without a DD in town, one was being built as we moved away...

I know there are a lot of people who don't understand the obsession and who think it's trivial compared to Starbucks, etc. I do like Starbucks coffee. But as a true Bostonian, my heart will always love Dunkin Donuts more than anything else.

Quick anecdote: anyone watching the Red Sox in the playoffs a couple of years ago could not have helped but notice Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner at a few games--they flashed enough pictures of them. You may also have noticed that Jennifer always had a Starbucks cup, while Ben always had a DD cup. Ben grew up in Boston. Silly story, but just wanted to share since I know a ton of people who also noticed--and these are people who aren't from Boston, they just know me!

There really aren't words to describe a cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee, so I'll just end with this:

Perfection

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Almost as quality as Krispy Kreme coffee.

Full of JOY said...

i wish i had that much passion and drive for coffee. it would seem that i should, being an up and coming barista and all...i feel as if i have that much gusto for others beverages, though, which make me qualify for the passion and drive that i feel i am required to have in the particular environment in which i spend over half my time! i still stand by my advocation of the AH-mazing iced green tea latte!
p.s. how's the trip going?? i miss you guys already!

Eric said...

Dunkin Donuts coffee is DEFINITELY amazing - and is always a staple visit when I'm back in NEPA - as it will be in June and July and September when I'm there this year. And to comment on Jamie's comment - blah. Krispy Kreme serves the number one worst cup of coffee on the planet. EVER!

Tara said...

You said it, Eric! KK tastes like cigarettes, don't you think?

Jamie said...

1/2 mild, 1/2 bold -- can't beat that with a hot, fresh donut. Unless you get a cup of coffee from DD and one of their stale donuts baked three days ago I guess. Please no more Caribou comments. Caribou in the coffee house world is like the Penn State of college basketball.

Tara said...

I love how something like coffee can spark such high emotion.