Friday, April 21, 2006

Recipe Obsession

I have an addiction to recipes. I just love them--I love reading them, I love watching people cook, I love trying them out myself. I have a rediculous amount of cookbooks and I read them and re-read them all the time. Not only that, but they are marked up with little post-its and then cross-referenced into dish type categories in Word on my computer. That way, when I'm looking for something specific to make, I can look under "Soups" or "Main Dishes-Pork" and find something pretty quick. (I know at this point some of you must think I'm crazy.) But wait, there's more.

Before we got rid of DirecTV, I constantly watched the Food Network--it was by far my favorite channel. Now that I don't have it anymore, once in a while I'll pop in a Food Network DVD because, yes, I bought a few of those collections at Target. So once in a while I can get a food fix from a favorite chef or two. To me, food is the prettiest thing to look at on TV--it's so vibrant and colorful.

And then there's the internet. When I'm bored, I'll settle onto the couch with Mark's laptop and start browsing recipes on allrecipes.com or foodnetwork.com or epicurious.com. As if I don't have access to enough recipe ideas, I constantly work on building up my online recipe boxes.

When does an obsession become unhealthy? =)

2 comments:

Tara said...

Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa), Rachael Ray, Giada deLaurentis, Paula Deen, Bobby Flay, Dave Lieberman... I have a ton of their cookbooks. I also love Sandra Lee's books (even though her show is a tad cheesy). They're really beautiful to look at. Nigella Lawson isn't on the Food Network, but I find her completely fascinating and love her books.

Eric said...

was that a pun?? "when does an obsession become unhealthy?" I guess pun isn't the right word. But I guess your obsession becomes unhealthy when you stop watching your food shows, and start cooking and eating everything you see....if you're not careful to make and eat healthy foods...i guess your obsession would be unhealthy. Hmmm...yea. ok bye.