Friday, March 31, 2006

Willy Wonka or Charlie?

I recently watched the new Charlie and theChocolate Factory movie. My husband, Mark, wanted no part of it when I brought it home because he's a diehard for the 1971 version, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I am too, actually, but I was intrigued by the new one because, for one, it's Johnny Depp who is an amazing actor and he doesn't pick his roles lightly. But also because this new version is supposedly closer to the book. And I must admit that the commercials and trailors, with their bright colors and flashy new look, really did reel me in.

If you want my opinion, it wasn't really any good. The music wasn't catchy, differing from the original--who doesn't know all those songs?! Cheer up Charlie, Oompa-doompa, if you want to view paradise... I was intrigued by the backstory of it, showing a little of Willy's childhood and how he became a chocolate genius, but overall, it just didn't hold my attention. (As a side note, Mark did sit and watch it with me--he couldn't resist his curiosity.)

So I got to thinking about movie remakes in general. What has there been? Cheaper By the Dozen, Father of the Bride, Yours Mine and Ours, The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, Ocean's Eleven... I think as a general rule of thumb, I've decided that the remake doesn't live up to the original.

There have been a few that have, in my opinion, surpassed the oldie (Father of the Bride and Ocean's Eleven come to mind--those are two really great movies!).

If anyone is reading this, what was your take on the new Charlie and the Chocloate Factory? I always love a movie discussion.