Thursday, March 30, 2006

Barnes & Noble

From November 2005

Barnes & Noble is a place that I love to be. Sure, there are other major bookstore chains that attempt to woo us with their big selection and their legal addictive stimulants. But Barnes & Noble is different. It stands out. It is somehow regal. I'm not downplaying independent bookstores or even used bookstores (which I love and am lucky to have quite a few of here in the Twin Cities). But if you are fortunate enough to have a gigantic two-story store near you, you will understand what I mean as you ride the escalator down from the second floor and simply take in the view. I will admit that I love all books. I love the smell of old books, I love the crisp, clean pages of new books. Maybe it is because I'm living in a new place, and Barnes & Noble is familiar to me in a land of strangeness. I am calm and serene as I walk the aisles, between shelves and shelves holding thousands of books. I am peaceful as I pick a comfy chair and decide to thumb through Nigella Lawson's latest cookbook. I am happy as I order a chai and sit down in the cafe with a big pile of new finds to browse.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Who ARE you?

Tara said...

That part of my identity DID get washed away for a while, but I reclaimed it a few months after Rory (my second kid) was born. I decided if I am going to be any kind of fun, original, crazy, interesting mom, I can't let that part of myself go--also I need it for me.