Monday, October 30, 2006

My Father

I have never put a lot of thought into God as my Father. I know He is. I know it's a fact, but I don't know that I've ever truly personalized that. I was thinking about it today and wondering if maybe I've never put a lot of thought into it because of the fact that I never had an earthly father. Since my dad died when I was so young, I don't really know what it is to have a fatherly relationship with someone. I've had a father-in-law for 6 years and he's great, but that's a different thing altogether. I don't think I've seen a father-daughter relationship up close until now because now I'm watching Mark and Rory up close and can see how much he really loves her and wants to protect her and take care of her. Don't get me wrong. I'm not feeling sorry for myself in any way, shape, or form. I have never felt sorry for myself because my mom made sure that we had a very happy lives. But I'm just kind of thinking about things in a new light now. I've seen God take care of me and teach me and guide me so much throughout life, but I've never really called Him "Father."

Last week was rough. I was lonely for a friend. I miss close relationships near to where I live and being able to call someone, make spur-of-the-moment plans and then talk the hours away. I know these things will come eventually, and most of the time I'm busy enough with the kids and our home and don't think much about it, but sometimes the lonliness takes over for a little bit. But with this comes a perfect example of God taking care of me, his daughter. Lydie, my new friend here (who also happens to be Mark's cousin's wife), wanted to go out for coffee. We made plans to meet at Easton for supper and some Christmas shopping. But we ended up talking the night away, and then at the last minute decided to see a movie too. We had a great time, and it ended up being a night that both of us really needed. God had a new friend (who happens to be my favorite person of all the people I've met here) call me out of the blue, exactly when I needed someone to reach out. Not only that, but she communicated to me that she's really thankful we moved here and has needed this relationship too. That is more of a blessing to me than I can communicate with words.

This may seem like a little thing, but for me, it was gigantic! God, my Father, loves me.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Tara, I don't think anyone that reads this will think that what happened with your friend calling you out of the blue is a small thing. God is always doing these "little things" to remind me of His presence. Also, it is wonderful to hear of Mark's love for Rory. All good, healthy relationships on earth somehow reflect God's perfect relationship with HImself (Father, Son, Spirit) and His relationship with us. If Mark & Rory help you in your relationship with God as your Father...that is pretty special and amazing.

Tara said...

I can always count on encouragement from my old pal, Jamie. Thank you.

Full of JOY said...

ha...that just made me grin. or chuckle, as you would say, ta!! :)

but your blog!! practically brought goose bumps. amazing. just amazing. i love that. i love that our God is out-of-the-blue, and loves surprising us!! just when we least expect it...

i just have to keep reminding myself of that. thanks for YOUR reminder.

i'm dying for the pictures of Miss Princess and Mr. Incredible. "whoa!" HAHA!! :)