Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Where Are My Beloved Maples?

Fall means so many things...OSU football, gorgeous colors, pumpkins, apples, scarecrows, trick-or-treating, turkey, cider...I can't even begin to list it all. This year I will even go so far as to say the World Series. We all know I'm not the world's biggest baseball fan (I'll take football and basketball first), but when you're born and raised in Boston, the pride is always there. Well, the heartbreak until a few years ago, but now, definitely the pride. That's not what this post is about, I just had to throw it in there. I was noticing the other day that the trees in our little Ohio hamlet are different than what I'm used to. Growing up in New England and then spending another 10 years in northeast Pennsylvania, I guess I was spoiled by the foliage. There were maples and poplars and dogwoods at every turn, the hills are covered in reds, yellows, oranges, rusts, and tans, the streets are lined with fallen leaves. Maybe last year I was too preoccupied by our recent move to notice the details around me, but this fall I've noticed that yes, there is some color, but there are also tons of evergreens. It's weird. I'm used to blatant color with no interruption, but here it's more a sprinkling. Hmmm...

2 comments:

Full of JOY said...

YEAH! a new post!!

that's quite odd tara!! PA is the best place ever in the fall...i miss elk mountain and the ski lift every year at this time...

Diana Reddy said...

Ta..the New England fall wasn't spectacular at all this year. It's been so STINKIN' dry! Most of the leaves just fell off after the first good breeze. Maybe we'll have a nice snowy winter to make up for it. :-)