Monday, March 05, 2007

The Yard Sale Bug

“Digging through a cellar or an attic is like archaeology of the soul.” –Anonymous

It’s getting to be that time of year again. I have the itch—the yard sale itch. Every spring I can’t wait to pour over the classified section of the paper looking for yard sale ads. Every Saturday I love to while away the morning hours going from neighborhood to neighborhood, looking for hidden treasures. I think this bug started because for 5 years, I lived in the Yard Sale Land of Plenty, also known as Clarks Summit, PA. There were always friends to go with (Gretchen, Laura, and of course Judith--who taught us to haggle) I realized the bug was back last week as I was flipping through Craig’s List online, looking for outside toys for the kids. Jackpot—I got a little tikes picnic table for just 5 bucks! Then I realized just how bad my bug is: the fact that I was going through not just the Columbus ads, but the Cleveland ads too. I knew if I found anything worthwhile, I could get my in-laws to pick it up for me (they’re just great like that). And low and behold, I found my perfectly priced picnic table in Cleveland! It’s sitting in Grandma and Papa's garage as we speak. I got even more excited last week after talking to my friend, Lydie. She told me about amazing multi-family neighborhood sales that happen annually in certain upscale towns, and we already have a date to leave the kids with the daddies and hit those up! So until the spring weather actually comes and the newspaper starts filling up their ad section, I’ll get it out of my system by scouring craigslist.org. Ya never know what you might come across.

“It is the beholder who lends to the beautiful things its myriad meanings, and makes it marvelous for us.” –Oscar Wilde

4 comments:

Full of JOY said...

so are you having your own garage sale, too?? then mark can make pancakes and we can eat them in the front yard!! HAHA!!

Jamie said...

Good old Riverbend where I grew up has a development-wide yard sale every summer. Give old Phil a call and find out when it is. I don't know if Riverbend exactly qualifies as "upscale" though.

gretchen said...

I think I must be in the opposite mindset. I have started going through the rooms looking for what I can rid myself of- a good purging is always good for my soul. (probably only to be refilled by garage sale junk, but at least I will have made more room for it)

Tara said...

Yeah, I have the purging bug too. I have a bunch of boxes in the storage room that have been quickly filling up with yard sale prospects. I don't think I'll have enough to do a yard sale this year though--bummer cuz I miss having that cash. =) And Abs, I love that memory of pancakes on the porch!