Friday, February 29, 2008

Kids...

Kids little brains amaze me sometimes. Jake brought his latest creation out of bristle blocks up from the basement a few minutes ago and told me it was a building from Ratatouille. I said, is it the Eiffel Tower? Of course, he doesn't know what the Eiffel Tower is so I went and got the DVD case out and showed him and he said that's what it was and seemed excited that I knew what he was building. It's so fascinating seeing how they develop into their own people. Jake is 5 and has to memorize Bible verses for Cubbies every week, and he struggles with that. And there's Rory (who is 3) in the background basically memorizing them no problem because she's always listening in. And she helps him. Freaks me out a little bit and makes me feel a little bad for Jake, not that he really cares about that stuff yet. Then yesterday I was trying to teach them about clocks and telling time from these cute Disney flashcards I picked up at the dollar store. Rory caught on right away while Jake just kind of listened and watched. But look at what his mind does...creates a famous structure out of toys! We've always had lots of building stuff around the house--bristle blocks, magna logs, lincoln logs, small, medium, and large legos, and magnetix (which, by the way, if you don't have magnetix and you have a boy 5 or older, GET SOME cuz they are so cool and fun and seem to make kids be really creative!!!). Anyway, it seems like Jake has become quite a builder in the past few months. It's become his favorite thing to do and I love seeing what he comes up with. Kids are amazing!


3 comments:

gretchen said...

Yay for Jake and Rors! Even kids each have their gifts...I miss them.
oh, and p.s. I have no boys and did not know any of the blocks except legos and lincoln logs...what in the world?!?!?!

Tara said...

How funny that the building universe just doesn't hold a place in a girls world! Rory really likes the magnetix too so maybe your girls would like them. Next time you're in town you should have them experiement with all our building stuff and see if they like any of it. =)

Anonymous said...

how precious to see once again an example of how God has created all kids so unique and special! how boring life would be if they were all the same!