Monday, November 05, 2007

That's Amore!

Pizza has been a Saturday night staple for as long as I can remember. My mom always made homemade pizza on Saturdays and I decided to carry on the tradition in my own family, starting right from the first week we were married. It didn't come very easy though. It took a while for my stones to get seasoned, so the crust was iffy for a long time. And I didn't get my sauce recipe right or my cheese combination figured out for a long time. Basically, it took a year of trying to come out with a pizza we love. My pal, Gretchen, is known for being a pizza lover and she's always done experimenting with different crust flavors and a variety of toppings. I didn't get experimental until recently (I'm a pepperoni and onion girl), but now I'm hooked. I think I tried making barbecue chicken pizza a little over a year ago and I like it nice and thin and crispy. Then a few weeks ago, I tried buffalo chicken pizza. I used Rachael Ray's recipe, well, her sauce recipe anyway but I tweaked the cheeses and toppings. Let me just say I have never been more in love with a food in my life. I simply cannot get enough. If you're interested, the recipe is probably online (http://foodnetwork.com) I've started doing pizza buffets for Ohio State football games. I have 3 pizza stones and now I realize it's still not enough. I asked for a fourth for Christmas because if I'm truly going to offer a buffet, I need more options. Until then I'll borrow an extra...this Saturday the fourth pizza will be pesto, tomato, and chicken...my mouth is watering. Gotta love Saturday night!!!

4 comments:

gretchen said...

Wish I could come! My new pizza that I am in love with is a white pizza with thinly sliced tomato, onion and basil and I am very into thin and crispy right now, too. I have two round stones and a long square one I make pizza with...I need another oven. Go Bucks!

Full of JOY said...

please do let me know if you come across a GREAT cheese-less pizza...lame, i know!! :) i don't often really crave cheese anymore, but right now, i am DYING for a true slice of CHEESEY pizza!!! haha!

Anonymous said...

YUM!! I have to try some of those kinds you mentioned - I make pizza once a week too but I seem to make the same kind every time!!!

Eric said...

I'm incredibly jealous and sad that I can't partake in these pizza buffets. I have to say that my favorite meal that Gretchen makes is her pizza...it's incredible! Maybe you two should open a pizza place together...I swear people would swarm to have your pizzas!