Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Miami Ink

This show is my latest TV interest. This winter, with Mark coaching so much and not knowing too much of the city yet, I spent more time than usual watching reality tv. I don't get into the games and competitions, but I have an unhealthy fascination with watching other people's lives. It seems like just about every network has a couple of versions of just watching people, and I readily admit that it's a pretty big waste of time. But I like tv, what can I say? My favorite right now is Miami Ink, on TLC. It's about a tattoo shop in South Beach and all the people who work there. Some of it is about their personal lives, but I think the really fascinating part is hearing what the customers' tattoos mean to them. Most of them come in knowing exactly what they want to have done. And it's always very personal--anything from a girl's journey to becoming an American citizen, to guys' siblings taking their own lives, to a father who loves his daughters, to a woman coming out of an abusive relationship, to a guy who feels peace everytime he looks at the ocean, to a young mother who wants to be a strong role model for her kids...it's really interesting stuff if you're looking to waste a half hour of your day!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Is someone getting the itch to get inked herself?

Stephanie said...

i watched it for the first time the other night and totally got sucked in ... very interesting.

gretchen said...

hmmmm....Tara with a tattoo...interesting...a cookbook maybe?

Chuck said...

Hey, I want one too!